hey jenn u wanna talk about fitness?

1. last year

I wanna do some cycling on my lifting off days, but I don't wanna do city biking. are there any parks with trails to ride on in the city or surrounding areas that you could recommend?

2. Take an intro class at the Velodrome and ride there.

$100 bucks for the class
    $30 every time you want to train there afterwards (unless you buy a season pass)

OR, ride the Hopkins loop. It's about 22 miles, flat, easy, and pretty.

3. is there any way to prevent an overuse injury after building up to lots of exercise? what can you do to prevent injury just in general? (besides safety)

4. Go to a professional and get a bike fit. That will prevent injury on the bike more than anything else. They do them at Angry Catfish for twenty bucks, and it's well worth it. Take recovery days. DO IT. (I'm bad at that.) Recovery days for me are usually just a casual ride at around 15 miles for the day, or just a long walk with some light jogging.

5. do you drink protein shakes or preworkout?

6. @jenn Go to a professional and get a bike fit. That will prevent injury on the bike more than anything else. They do them at Angry Catfish for twenty bucks, and it's well worth it. Take recovery days. DO IT. (I'm bad at that.) Recovery days for me are usually just a casual ride at around 15 miles for the day, or just a long walk with some light jogging.

do you just do cycling or do you do a combination of strength train and cycling. would a recovery day be one w/o cycling and just lifting? or bw strength training?

7. Edited last year by jenn

I don't drink protein shakes unless I think I'm not getting enough protein through my diet. Typically, I just eat a very rounded and varied diet, so I don't tend to have deficiencies. I like real, whole fools as opposed to mixes, gu's, and bars, although those do come in handy at times.

"Preworkout" for sure. Warm up is crucial in preventing injury. I do, at minimum, 5 minutes of warm up before working out, and thirty minutes of strenuous warm up with 15-20 minutes of recovery before competing. No stretching (that's for afterwards,) but lots of light cardio, plyo, and burpees. I eat lightly, but densely, packing in a lot of calories into a little meal beforehand, and 45 minutes before working out. Beans, nuts, and fruits are a great way to get simple sugars, carbs, and calories without being too full.

do you just do cycling or do you do a combination of strength train and cycling. would a recovery day be one w/o cycling and just lifting? or bw strength training?

I do a combo of both, though I have been focusing on cycling more due to racing season being, like, right fucking now. In the off-season, I hit the weights harder, and I'm SUPER excited about this plyo workout jawknee is sending me to work on explosive power.

A recovery day is a day without a strenuous workout, period, but not a sedentary day. So, like I said, a light, spinny ride, or a walk is great for these days.

8. And, sometimes, you just need a day off to do nothing but but binge watch crappy tv shows, and you should never ever feel bad or guilty about these days. These days are probably the reason I've had a lot of success in training.

9. haha okay. so how long after I take that intro course do I have to wait before wearing one of those matchy bike outfits or the stretchy tiny hats

10. do you follow anyone cool or inspirational on ig?

11. @jenn I do a combo of both, though I have been focusing on cycling more due to racing season being, like, right fucking now. In the off-season, I hit the weights harder, and I'm SUPER excited about this plyo workout jawknee is sending me to work on explosive power.

so a non recovery day could be lifting + cycling if you were up for it? or would you be too worn out. I have been lifting heavy every other day since april and i'm really liking it, but I want to get some practical use out of these muscles.

12. Edited last year by jenn

You're going to be chafed to all shit if you wear street clothes. You MAY wear a tshirt with bib shorts/cycling shorts when warming up, but a jersey is going to be much more comfortable. They also have bikes there to rent for five bucks. But, the velodrome is a world-class facility, and with that, I think comes some decorum. Everyone you see there, no matter their level of sport (some people NEVER race, and only train there,) wear cycling-specific clothing while riding. Plus, you don't want clothing flapping around you creating more drag. You need to go about 18 mph just to keep from sliding off the track.

13. Edited last year by jenn

@remodeling so a non recovery day could be lifting + cycling if you were up for it? or would you be too worn out. I have been lifting heavy every other day since april and i'm really liking it, but I want to get some practical use out of these muscles.

I would say no. I would take it easier than that.

EDITED RESPONSE POSTED BELOW. (I misread this.)

14. mmm got it. so would I be able to make any real progress w/ training like 1 time/ week?

15. Edited last year by jenn

OH, a NON-RECOVERY day. I misread that.

Yeah, you can lift and ride, if you're up to it. Just listen to your body. I tend to do either/or wrt training riding.

I mean, I ride everyday just to get places, so I don't count that as "riding" on a lifting day, but my training rides are a different story. I def wouldn't have anything left to lift on those days.

16. cool. have you ever tried rock climbing? those are the sports i want to pursue in the next few months.

17. Edited last year by jenn

@remodeling mmm got it. so would I be able to make any real progress w/ training like 1 time/ week?

I think progress is so subjective, and it's up to you what that means. For me, based on ability and what I look for in progress for me, 1 day a week wouldn't do much for me, but that doesn't mean that's true for everyone. But, it'd probably do more than no days a week.

18. Dude, I'd love to climb, but HOLY EXPENSIVE. That's why Batman could do it. He's a billionaire.

19. hahhahah yeah that is why im like hmm i like riding bike too

20. Edited last year by kbollox

and walking a lot, shit's free yo.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!