Unfolding Joys of Home Ownership PT. II

1. ‹ Older
  2. 4 months ago

pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Feb 27 Administrator

is it in richfield? if so, you're missing a cool opportunity to make a chill tunnel that connects to my basement.

3. Stu, I think you can get a real estate lawyer to do the work for about a grand -- well, that's what it cost us in 2002 anyway when we were selling our house to a friend.

4. @pitpat, Toby Ronnie is it in richfield? if so, you're missing a cool opportunity to make a chill tunnel that connects to my basement.

Yes. I do miss Richfield in my own perverse way. (sorry, clone.)

I think you are east Richfield. This is west Richfield, even closer to the airport runway.

5. Ooh, the posh side of town!

6. Edited 4 months ago by stu

Derp, I'm stupid, I meant my g's house is on the east side and high rollin' pitpat is on the west side (I think).

7. Makin' it rain hundred dollar bills in his Orrin Thompson built basement.

8. high, rollin' pitpat.

9. High, blunt rollin' pitpat.

10. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Feb 28 Administrator

gotta semi-finished basement.
    i just throw handfulls of nickels around.

11. Edited 4 months ago by jenn

lol, we're framing out a bouldering cave in the basement this weekend. Pretty much never going to sell our house. At work, we're joining offices with a sister company that manufactures climbing walls, holds, and volumes, and I just got a ton of factory seconds they were looking to unload before the office move. My home gym just leveled up.

12. speaking of basement walls, has anyone ever dealt with ancient basement walls that were covered in cement at one time that is crumbling? I feel like I need to recover them with cement or something but know zero about that sort of thing. I worry that just throwing cement up won't work do to the high levels of humidity down there?

13. I would just leave them alone but they constantly crumble and get dust everywhere

14. I have that problem too.

It's difficult and scary to buy and sell without a realtor but man saving that 6% was key for us.

15. we used a family member who got real estate license at the top of the bubble when we bought our place. she recently told us that to list our house for sale by owner and she would help with paperwork.

16. And, boom, now I have a bouldering climbing setup in my basement. It was a ton of work, but quite possibly the raddest home improvement project ever and it makes me so friggin happy.

17. 3 months ago
    Edited 3 months ago by jonbehm

Spent most of the day sunday buying and installing a dishwasher myself. Convinced that the dishwasher industry is getting kickbacks from dishwasher installers because they do not do you ANY favors in making them easy to install. I mean, what other appliance requires you to wire it instead of just plugging into a wall? And why do they not include ALL of the parts needed to install them? And why doesn't anyone at any hardware store anywhere seem to be able to offer meaningful advice/instruction on how to install them? It was all-in-all a pretty frustrating experience.

That being said, I have completed two plumbing projects in two weeks without assistance so I am feeling like my home improvement game is getting stronger

18. @jonbehm Convinced that the dishwasher industry is getting kickbacks from dishwasher installers because they do not do you ANY favors in making them easy to install. I mean, what other appliance requires you to wire it instead of just plugging into a wall? And why do they not include ALL of the parts needed to install them? And why doesn't anyone at any hardware store anywhere seem to be able to offer meaningful advice/instruction on how to install them? It was all-in-all a pretty frustrating experience.
    r

in addition it seems appliance repair people dont repair dishwashers

19. fildrummond 15 minutes ago
    in addition it seems appliance repair people dont repair dishwashers

Yeah, when I finally found one who did he came out, tried and failed to get the dishwasher out from under the counter (turns out you have to remove screws to do this which you would think the guy would know), shrugged and basically said "you should probably get a new dishwasher." 100 bucks down the drain to get that expert opinion.

20. Edited 3 months ago by kbollox

@jonbehm Spent most of thew day sunday buying and installing a dishwasher myself. Convinced that the dishwasher industry is getting kickbacks from dishwasher installers because they do not do you ANY favors in making them easy to install. I mean, what other appliance requires you to wire it instead of just plugging into a wall? And why do they not include ALL of the parts needed to install them? And why doesn't anyone at any hardware store anywhere seem to be able to offer meaningful advice/instruction on how to install them? It was all-in-all a pretty frustrating experience.

That being said, I have completed two plumbing projects in two weeks without assistance so I am feeling like my home improvement game is getting stronger

Man, when I went to move my ancient dishwasher in anticipation of installing a new one and quickly found that it was HARD PIPED (copper pipe!) to the hot water line!! Holy shit scalding hot water shooting into the center of the kitchen and a scramble to shut off the water at the water heater. (thanks 1980 remodel!)

I made damn sure I knew what I was getting into after that incident. Having to hard wire the plug into the damn dishwasher and supply my own steel braided waterline and route the drain, FUN!

21. Mine was also from the 80's and also copper piping. I left it in because I really did not want to have to try and fish a new flex line back behind all of the cabinetry to the sink. Whomever modeled the kitchen put all of the piping behind the counter where it is not accessible unless you tear the cabinets out.

or Sign Up to reply!