A CENTIPEDE JUST FELL IN MY LAP

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 years ago

warsawpactarmor Way back in the '90s my roommate and I were idly watching Discovery Channel or something and there was a long sequence of an adorable desert mouse/gerbil-type thing fighting an enormous centipede...

I have a remarkably clear memory of watching that same sequence.
    Is this it?

3. That must be it. GO MOUSE KILL HAT HORRIBLE THING

4. love watching that lil fucker leap in the air ninja-style in slo mo.

5. YEAH! Endothermism! Whoo!

6. "a one-ounce nocturnal assassin"

7. 2 weeks ago

Japanese beetles everywhere, eating everything.

8. That green color. They're almost like regular beetles except they vape.

9. A-ha, thanks to this thread, I think I have identified the bug a found at work the other day: a spricket. Except it a had a red head.

10. I had a pine beetle get inside of my shirt when I was having a meeting with some people on the Gunflint Trail. That was discombobulating.

11. @orbit A-ha, thanks to this thread, I think I have identified the bug a found at work the other day: a spricket. Except it a had a red head.

They're not as bad this summer at our house as in the past. But our whole family did have to get rabies shots, so it's always something.

@patti fundament Japanese beetles everywhere, eating everything.

Yeah, terrible this year. We tried the knocking them into soapy water thing, but that is annoying and takes forever so we've been torching them with a stick lighter. Especially satisfying when they're mid-coitus. Less so when they start smelling like burnt popcorn.

12. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Aug 7 Administrator

years ago when i tried growing my own anxiety meds in my backyard, the japanese beetle was my mortal enemy.

13. @stuffedpheasant But our whole family did have to get rabies shots, so it's always something.

Ok, we're gonna have to hear this story.

14. @Turlough's ;Axe Ok, we're gonna have to hear this story.

It's not really all that exciting - we had a bat in the house and couldn't rule out that we hadn't had contact with it, plus weren't able to capture it to get it tested, and so bam, rabies shots. We haven't received all the medical bills yet but apparently it's going to be very expensive. They weren't all that painful, but my kid is now officially afraid of nurses.

15. AAAAAAGGHHH!
    -image-

16. Yeah he was roughly that big. He was running around the house on his tiny back legs trying to give us all big bat hugs.

17. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Aug 7 Administrator

i want to beat that thing with a baseball bat

18. zom

Aug 7 Doors Fans

@zom -image-

Nvr Frgt

19. would hug

20. Covfefe, the Presidential Flying Fox!

21. @frumiousbandersnatch WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT SHIT INTERIOR DESIGNBOT

This still makes me chuckle for some reason, and I don't even know the reference.

or Sign Up to reply!