1. 10 months ago

28 dead, 60 injured

Same ol' shit.

2. Just to get everyone up to speed:

-image-

3. To the Turks like the Kurds only because they think they can expand Turkey's power or because they support a Kurdistan state?

4. They most definitely do not support a Kurdish state, since it would encompass quite a bit of Turkish land.

5. In an attempt to deny their existence, the Turkish government categorized Kurds as "Mountain Turks" until 1991. The words "Kurds", "Kurdistan", or "Kurdish" were officially banned by the Turkish government.

6. Oh, the Turks!

7. -image-

8. still a little confused.
    who does the Turkish government hold in contempt more, pkk or Isis?

9. maybe that's too simple.

10. Probably PKK. I would guess they think they can militarily defeat globally-focused ideologues IS but PKK being a native liberation movement is harder to crack. Or something?

11. Sounds good. And fucked.

12. Probably they hold Germans who refer to the Armenian genocide in the highest contempt of all.

13. Well if anyone knows genocide...

14. Erdogan apologized to Putin about the Su-24 incident, by the way. I'm kind of amazed that sentient ball of injured dignity was able to apologize to anybody about anything.

15. Dang, politics aside I love Turkey. One of my favorite places period. I have been through that airport a few times. Would love to go back were it not increasingly terrifying to go anywhere outside my house

16. eh, I think it's safe to say life is pretty safe still for white middle-class people everywhere

17. @jonbehm Dang, politics aside I love Turkey. One of my favorite places period. I have been through that airport a few times. Would love to go back were it not increasingly terrifying to go anywhere outside my house

I should clarify too that while I like to crack wise about Erdogan, etc., the place fascinates me (in a good way).

18. Turkey coup: military attempt to seize power from Erdogan as low flying jets and gunfire heard in Ankara and bridges across Bosphorus in Istanbul closed

19. I have a friend there now, tho I think he's currently traveling away from Istanbul.

Cray cray

20. o dip

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!