Travel Plans 2017

1. 8 months ago

Thought I'd start a 2017 travel thread, in general, but I'm looking for some European pro tips.

In May I'm returning to Copenhagen for work. I was there for a week in September but didn't have any extra time. This go around I'm being allowed a week of vacation to do whatever I want. I could have a friend join me but am most likely going solo. Work will cover all my expenses while in Copenhagen, and my flight to and from Europe. I'd like to travel somewhere I haven't been before.

Currently thinking four nights in Berlin then three or four nights in Edinburgh and/or Glasgow. But there are some sweet little cabin cottages on AirBnB for Oslo too.

Looking for recommendations on stuff to see/do, neighborhoods to stay in, etc.

2. I'm planning some trips to St. Paul next year.

3. Pretty close to being ready to pull the trigger on tix to Slovenia (with possible Croatia or Austria side trips thrown in) around the same time as you Sharyn. Maybe we'll cross paths on a layover.

If you end up going to Edinburgh I can recommend lots to you (though its been awhile and things have changed in the last dozen years I am sure).

I did notice that Ryanair has cheap flights from Copenhagen to some spots in Spain, Portugal, Hungary, or Lithuania. I would probably pick one of those. Or better yet, if you are going to Berlin you could fly from there to Barcelona which is an amazing city.

4. Are you visiting the historic birthplace of our new First Lady?

5. I'm going to demand her birth certificate

6. lol

7. Hopefully to the UK in April for Safe As Milk. Missed the early bird tickets, waiting for the next round to go on sale. Airfare has been fluctuating, but generally below $600 round trip, so not bad (we paid $660 each to go to London a couple of months ago, and that was a pretty good deal at the time).

8. (er, I misspoke. . .2 person rooms for the festival are sold out)

9. If I can swing it, 2017 will involve Spain (for a professional conference), Puerto Vallarta (to check out a friend's new restaurant), and a week on the Ice Age Trail. I have zero money, though, so... we'll see.

10. man I really want to get to Las Vegas for Psycho Las Vegas this year.

11. @jonbehm Pretty close to being ready to pull the trigger on tix to Slovenia (with possible Croatia or Austria side trips thrown in) around the same time as you Sharyn. Maybe we'll cross paths on a layover.

I've only had dealings with the Slovenian border patrol, on my way to Croatia, but that is tempting. Berlin was top of the list because I haven't been and it's close to Copenhagen. But I found the perfect (and cheapeast) place on AirBnB and my request to book was just declined for no reason. The dude's calendar hasn't been updated. Now I'm annoyed. Haven't been to Barcelona yet. Only Madrid and Algeciras. I'd like to visit a friend in Edinburgh. She's originally from the states but married a Scottish guy.

12. @orbit Hopefully to the UK in April for Safe As Milk.

The Residents are playing!!

13. Edited 8 months ago by sharyn

I wish my work trip were earlier.

14. haha holy shit I'd fly to that safe as milk show just to see Brainbombs

15. Right? That would be so much fun.

16. random funny story:
    Hands down the best thing that anyone has said about my band, and one of the best music quotes I've ever heard, is when The Classical described us as "the brainbombs but as a townie bar band".

17. sharyn 25 minutes ago
    I found the perfect (and cheapeast) place on AirBnB and my request to book was just declined for no reason.

That has happened to me too. I am somewhat hesitant about using airbnb in Europe but plan to at least give it a shot. Mainly because its tough to have a baby with you in a hostel

18. Edited 8 months ago by orbit

@Princelumber haha holy shit I'd fly to that safe as milk show just to see Brainbombs

Them, Circle, Nurse With Wound, Ulver, and Shirley Collins are my must-sees for that fest.
    Would probably watch the Residents if there were nothing else happening, but I reached a 'meh' point with them last time I saw them.

19. Anybody interested in carpooling to C2E2 in April? I'm putting a posse together. Get at me if you're interested.

20. GLASGOW IS THE BOMB.

I don't have any really specific recommendations, I just love the whole city in general

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!