2017 Reading

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 weeks ago

@the Classical checking the books out from the library when I want to read them.

WHAT????!!! The library. The library is like spotify but for books. How are the authors supposed to make a living if everyone just checks out books and reads them for FREE! I swear, I never heard of such a thing.

3. @the Classical I couldn't hang with Goodreads, I've had better luck just using the Amazon as my recommendation site and then just checking the books out from the library when I want to read them.

I'm currently splitting my time between Samuel Beckett's Watt, which has taken me a bit to get a handle on but I'm getting into it now and Chuck Wendig's Star Wars Aftermath which is frankly just terrible

That Star wars book is so bad. I read about 40% and just flat fuck quit reading it.

@the Classical , given your current reading project, do you let yourself quit a book?

4. No, I'll finish it, it's easy reading, it only took me like a day or so to read half of it so I can power through. I will hate myself for it, I read the first one and didn't like it so I have no idea why I thought this would be better.

I've only quit a couple of books so far this yr and those I didn't even really start, I just knew I wasn't going to have to time get into them at that moment. Though a couple I've put on an extended pause...I'll get back to them...eventually.

Of the 40 odd books I've read this yr only a handful have been total clunkers that I had to slog through.

5. @the Classical for those of us in tha dark, can u briefly explain your reading project?

6. Edited 5 weeks ago by the Classical

I am trying to read 100 books in a single yr

7. O damn. I set my goal of 50. So far I have 24 read. Not too brad.

8. You are better than halfway, good work.

I am at 42, though I should finish a few more by the end of the wknd. My library hold shelf is smoking, I'm in there like twice a week.

9. I work one block from the library in my small town. I am in there every week, at least once or twice. It's a great resource - between Great River (my branch) and MNLink, I can get p much everything I want.

10. 4 weeks ago

I reread Train Dreams by Denis Johnson over the wknd in the wake of his passing, and that book loses none of its power on second time through. Obv, all of his writing, Tree of Smoke, Jesus's Son, his poetry, I hold in the highest esteem but this book, this small little book that basically no one has read (was published in the Paris Review in 2002 and in book form in 2011), is maybe his greatest single work, haunting and spare and American and funny/weird (guy gets shot by his dog). Everyone should read it. You can read it in a sitting.

11. just finished art sex music by cosey fanni tutti. could be subtitled genesis p-orridge is a pretty awful person.

12. The US Govt should print up hundreds of thousands of cheap copies and air drop them to San Francisco, St Louis, Libby, MT, etc, they should hire kids to go door to door in rural Oklahoma and Detroit asking if people they have read it & provide complimentary copies, it should come in the mail, it should be automatically uploaded to whatever personal computing device you use, if yr blind someone should read it to you, if you can't read you should be taught so you can read it, there should be a cable access tv channel that displays the book one page at time on an infinite loop, a radio station that is just constant playing the audiobook, billboards, sky-writing, painted on the highway so you can read it while you drive, mobilize the National Guard, declare a National Day of reading, a Fahrenheit 451 in reverse, the book should be transmitted via nanobot rich vape clouds that smell like burnt wood and plays a long wolf howl...B+ would read again.

13. Edited 4 weeks ago by the Classical

I'm talking about Train Dreams not the Cosey Fanni Tutti book but fuck it let's do it with that one too

14. @the Classical I reread Train Dreams by Denis Johnson over the wknd in the wake of his passing, and that book loses none of its power on second time through. Obv, all of his writing, Tree of Smoke, Jesus's Son, his poetry, I hold in the highest esteem but this book, this small little book that basically no one has read (was published in the Paris Review in 2002 and in book form in 2011), is maybe his greatest single work, haunting and spare and American and funny/weird (guy gets shot by his dog). Everyone should read it. You can read it in a sitting.

Love that one, re-read it a few times now. Have you read all of his work? There's only a couple I haven't. I highly recommend his first novel ANGELS and his collected non-fiction reporting SEEK.

15. Praetorian: The Rise and Fall of Rome's Imperial Bodyguard, by Guy de la Bédoyère. Just published this year. Every now and then I take a quick look at Amazon to see if there's a recent-ish (as in the last 25 years) history of the Praetorian guard that looks scholarly, approachable, and of reasonable depth, and walk away empty-handed until the most recent time. So far, quite good. It focuses primarily on their 340-year criticality in the wielding and retention of Imperial power and succession of emperors and devotes little attention to military technicalities, which is exactly what I wanted, because like the Waffen-SS, what was interesting about them was their political function in the state, not their leet equipment and tactics. Romans being the fairly smart people they often were, it's a little surprising that they allowed the precedent to be set for Praetorian loyalty to be based on lavish monetary gifts, which led to the deposing and murder of many a future emperor. Although I suppose Donald Rumsfeld could have told Augustus that you ensure the fealty of the cohors praetoria with the incentive you've got, not the incentive you want.

16. Will check out Train Dreams, looks like they have a lone copy of the Book on CD and book in Kimball. WRS - Will Request Soon

17. I just finished the Viv Albertine book which was a great read. Now I'm exploring stuff she talked about in it. I found the film "Exhibition" easy enough but for the life of me I can't seem to find her solo album "The Vermilion Border!" Any hints?

18. 3 weeks ago

The Watcher - Charles McClean, not the teen AF of the same name. This one was called by a review in the Guardian "The number one horror novel of all time!" Unfortunately it was not. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't great either. Also it takes place in the early 80's but is strangely reminiscent of a more mid-century style that seems kind of anachronistic for when it is taking place.

Also finished White Tears which I liked.

19. Edited 3 weeks ago by LA Nick

The Shipping News - Annie Proulx
    Love this author and loving this book so far.

I finished 1984 which was dope. Also threw another John Sanford detective book in there, love those. It's a good year for reading - I get audiobooks from the library and then listen to them in the car and while I wash eggs (about 1 hr/night) so I move through them p fast.

20. I'd recommend the '80s 1984 movie with Richard Burton in his final role as O'Brien (!) as a capper to the experience. Very tight and faithful, extremely well-cast, and in terms of its production design nails the hard, dreary, dingy Anglo-Soviet thing very exactly.

21. 2 weeks ago

A lot of Samuel Beckett, which hasn't really improved my mood much.

or Sign Up to reply!