A Teevee Thread for 2017

1. 3 months ago

AV Club put The Good Place in its top thirty list, so we checked it out and it's surprisingly good. Cute premise, solid performances (especially Danson and the other male lead) and some laugh out loud moments. Done by the Brooklyn 99 guy.

Also loving People of Earth on TBS. Jeff, the gray alien, is very funny.

2. I watched the six episodes of Chewing Gum this weekend. When it's funny, it's very very funny. Worth the binge I think.

3. "Cute" is a word that is normally not in my vocabulary, but The Good Place is indeed a cute show.

4. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Jan 2 Administrator

rewatching Better Call Saul and Get A Life

5. Mostly through The OA - it's fairly entertaining. It has some ridiculous moments but overall I like it.

6. Gonna start The OA soon -- just wanted to finish up Happy Valley first.

7. Love Happy Valley

8. Oh forgot about The Good Place

9. Where were you guys when I was talking up The Good Place back in November? #StandBack #WeGotATastemakerHere

10. We are halfway through the OA. Pretty decent.
    Watched the new Sherlock last night.
    Just realized there is a new Sense8 I have not watched. Not a whole season but like a 2 hour special or something? I kinda liked that show.

11. Haven't seen it yet, but yes -- and Season 2 hits Netflix on May 5.

12. @YITH Where were you guys when I was talking up The Good Place back in November? #StandBack #WeGotATastemakerHere

I can't read the threads once they hit a few hundred posts.

13. I read all the tv threads and haven't heard of a lot of these shows. OA? Is that like the OC? I have subscriptions to everything except amazon and want to watch that semi new dystopian show about nazi Germany.

Also anyone try the jail broken amazon fire stick thing?

14. @DustyClaws I read all the tv threads and haven't heard of a lot of these shows. OA? Is that like the OC? I have subscriptions to everything except amazon and want to watch that semi new dystopian show about nazi Germany.

Also anyone try the jail broken amazon fire stick thing?

OA is a Netflix original series that's some kind of sci-fi thing I haven't watched yet.

I think The Man in the High Castle is the the Nazi show you're talking about. It's based on a Philip K Dick novel of the same name, the premise is that the Axis powers won WWII and rule the world including the US. I watched the first 1.5 episodes and liked it. It's a little scary for me to watch in light of the coming administration. It's on Amazon, but you can get a free streaming trial for 30 days and probably watch both seasons in that time.

15. my wife showed me the weird dance thing from the OA and i was like you think the stuff I WATCH IS GOOFY?

16. Edited 3 months ago by YITH

The OA. Man, I tell ya.

We binged it in 3 nights over the holiday weekend. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the main characters were pretty great, the acting was really good for the most part, but some of the story elements were bullshit, and the (non-flashback) side characters were woefully underdeveloped. And it definitely seemed like it was designed by committee to be a Netflix recommendation. "If you like gritty sci-fi dramas with a supernatural edge, you're going to love The OA."

I dunno. As far as wasting your time on entertainment goes, it was okay.

17. I actually really liked the OA, though it had its faults. Not perfect by any means but adventurous and ambitious.

I liked the element of mystery and that the story was intentionally vague in terms of what is/isn't 'real.' I did laugh my ass off at the ending while at the same time thinking that it was poignant and appropriate.

18. I don't know about the designed by committee part - if that were the case I think things would have been wrapped quite a bit more neatly.

19. I'm kind of sucked into The Crown, which is crazy cuz I don't even own a tv!

20. Over the holiday break I binged on both The OA and another Netflix show, Travelers, with a time travel premise. It's cheesy as hell and lower budget but just what I needed apparently.

My son watched a Dreamworks cartoon on Netflix - Trollhunters. The main character was voiced by Anton Yelchin who is dead now. And one of his non-human sidekicks is voiced by Kelsey Grammar. So that was surreal. It was also cheesy and often lazy, rehashing tired high school tropes.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!