February 2017 - Return of the Watchening.

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 months ago

Looking forward to seeing the original Ghost in the Shell at the Lagoon tonight.

3. "You know, I just, I don't know a lot about numbers. But I would like to."

4. Has there been discussion yet of Edge Of Seventeen? Didn't get much attention when it came out but I feel like it's got legs in the sense that 10 years from now kids'll be like "La La what? I dunno, but Edge Of Seventeen is dope."

5. @sharyn Looking forward to seeing the original Ghost in the Shell at the Lagoon tonight.

Is it the original original or the 2.0 version with new animations and CGI, supposedly overseen by Oshii himself? Haven't seen the latter, a little leery but would give it a fair shake, unreserved love for the first.

6. Josh Hartnett 8 hours ago
    Has there been discussion yet of Edge Of Seventeen?

Been curious about this one but have not seen. What I have read about it kind of sounds like the premise is that a teenage girl has a relationship with one of her teachers and it is somehow empowering, which I am inherently a bit skeptical of due to the power differential. But based on reviews it sounds like it must be done well.

7. 4 months ago

Thank goodness I have a place to document the movies I see again. I was sick for a while and watched a whole grip

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - solid thriller, felt like the ending was just a little anticlimactic though.
    Fantastic Beasts and... - Didn't finish, felt confused and uncaring about what was happening. Just seemed really poorly executed.
    Pop Star: Never Stop Never Stopping - Thought this was actually pretty funny. Had some stupidness for sure, but also solid laffs
    Keanu - Very funny stuff. Was not disappointed

8. Melissa McCarthy' s The Boss was stupid but funny as hell. There's a street fight between two troops of (essentially) Girl Scouts and one girl swings another girl by her hair and into a parked car and I nearly died laughing.

9. I want to see Popstar bad

10. The Last Shark - The not really famous Italian Jaws-ripoff that was so close to the original, Universal sued to have it pulled from theaters and won. Certainly not as good as even Jaws: The Revenge, but still found it enjoyable. The shark is hilarious, and the De Angelis bros music is sweet, along with some headscratcher moments. Not good, but fun.

Byzantium - Was kind of blown away at how much I liked this, and I'm a sucker for vampire movies. Great stuff.

Magnificent Butcher - 1979 Yuen Woo-Ping kung fu comedy starring Sammo Hung. HIGHLY recommended if you thought Legend of the Drunken Master was Jackie Chan's greatest moment, with all the holy shit stunts and broad slapstick humor that implies.

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet - Love Jean-Pierre Jeunet and this was no exception. B+

The Christmas Tale - Imagine the Stranger Things kids or the Goonies finding a wanted Santa-suited bank robber stuck in a hole in the ground with no way out, then deciding to extort the robber for millions in exchange for her life. 2005 Spanish movie, but nails the 1985 look. AWESOME.

Slaughter Night - 2006 German slasher movie, thought it might be cool because the German title is SL8N8. Turned out to be just ok.

Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon - 1985 Motown-produced martial arts movie with Vanity, Keisha Knight Pulliam and Jim Moody. Terrible in all the right ways, including the DeBarge music videos. Laughed pretty hard at this one, it's mostly not a comedy.

11. XX - Anthology of horror shorts by up-and-coming female directors and for some reason Annie Clark. Wanted to like this but it was almost uniformly terrible. Clark's contribution was probably the worst. The first piece is the best and wasn't terrible, but does require that the watcher pretend that really basic medical practices (i.e. a feeding tube) do not exist. Otherwise a big waste of time.

12. Bicorn Halfelven Feb 25
    Byzantium - Was kind of blown away at how much I liked this, and I'm a sucker for vampire movies. Great stuff.

From what I remember about this I enjoyed it as well

13. I would like to go home and watch Byzantium right now. It's been on my watch list for a while but I keep forgetting about it.

14. Psyched that Moonlight won best pic last night. Was so certain it was going to go to blah blah land given the way things seem to be trending right now. I just rewatched it the other night

15. Blah Blah Bland.

It was RIGHT there.

16. So blah I couldn't complete my pun

17. Edited 4 months ago by orbit

I saw Arrival last week and thought it pretty good, all in all. I am still a bit unclear on the nonlinear language idea as it was applied here, but I don't want to get too spoiler-y. Definitely put me in mind of other uplifting Big Question sci-fi flicks like Contact; less obviously, the flashback/forward stuff made me think of parts of Starbuck's subplot in BSG 2.0, but somehow I doubt that was an inspiration.

18. 3 months ago
    Edited 3 months ago by sonicfreak

It's March but I didn't want to start yet another thread. I know, I know... I need to be more brave, step out of my comfort zone, just go for it...

Anyhow I watched two things recently. One was I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore Quirky film on Netflix. Hip kids will be interested because David Yow of Scratch Acid/Jesus Lizard fame is in it. He is real good at playing a creepy criminal/killer. Seems just about perfect for him...

Also I watched The Damned: Don't You Wish That We Were Dead which was, you know, a documentary about the Damned. It was OK.

19. watched i am legend finally

it was fine

20. @sonicfreak It's March but I didn't want to start yet another thread. I know, I know... I need to be more brave, step out of my comfort zone, just go for it...

Worth noting, there's a March Movies thread that already has more posts than this one.

21. That one's tainted by posts impugning Mad Max.

or Sign Up to reply!