Listenings of February 2017

1. 6 months ago

Boogarins - Desivo Onirico - excellent new live album they put up on their Bandcamp page (dunno if it also exists in physical form). It really shows off what this band can do, stuff that is only hinted at on the studio LPs.

Alice Coltrane - Huntington Ashram Monastery / World Galaxy (twofer CD reissue)

Ornette Coleman - Complete Science Fiction Sessions

2. black messiah

vintage PiL

and this like 20 times a day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Edited 6 months ago by Meavy_Hetal

It almost feels mandatory lately for me to ingest as much political podcasting as I can, but yesterday I said 'bollocks' to that and grinded my through...

Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra
    Popol Vuh - Nosferatu
    Waaaaaaay more sitar than I ever would have imagined, but the themes at least are very gothic. I believe I recognized the dies irae appropriated throughout. Oh, and this, too...

Bonobo - Black Sands

4. Velvet Underground
    Galaxie 500
    Chad and Jeremy

5. @Meavy_Hetal Bonobo - Black Sands

A favorite.

6. @orbit
    Ornette Coleman - Complete Science Fiction Sessions

I've been on a bit of an Ornette kick lately, been listening to this, Live at the Golden Circle Vol 1 & 2, Dancing in Your Head and Body Meta.

Body Meta and the Golden Circle records being probably my fave Ornette albums, being basically the first ones I really heard.

7. board running slow for anyone else?

8. Nah, you are on that sizzurp.
    (is that still a thing?)

I also recently picked up Ornette's Skies Of America, which I need to listen to a lot more in depth.

9. @the Classical I've been on a bit of an Ornette kick lately, been listening to this, Live at the Golden Circle Vol 1 & 2, Dancing in Your Head and Body Meta.

Body Meta and the Golden Circle records being probably my fave Ornette albums, being basically the first ones I really heard.

I also have been thinking about this stuff, science fiction in particular. They were playing it when I was in cheapo the other day and it was kind of blowing my mind

10. His post Atlantic catalog (so like everything after Ornette On Tenor) is such a mess there are a bunch of great records in there that are out of print and/or have never been reissued, and as such have never gotten the wider exposure they deserve. Plus I have to imagine there's a zillion unreleased sessions, I'm hoping Denardo gets all this organized but who knows.

11. I'm really glad I had a chance to see him live once. 10 or 11 years ago? Something like that at the Ted Mann Concert Hall. Did you see that show Classical?

12. Edited 6 months ago by the Classical

Much to my eternal regret I did not, there was a reason I think, but whatever the reason was I can't remember which means I should have just gone to the damn show cuz I think about that all the time.

13. @pitpat, Toby Ronnie board running slow for anyone else?

Yes, yes it is.

14. Frank Ocean song called "White Ferrari" is p dope. Intrigued but also don't care about F Ocean.

15. I've been checking Discogs weekly to see if the wrestler Larry Zbyszko's disco single "Boo On Me" would appear, after reading rumors of its existence a few months ago. No listings online, no Discogs entry, not even a photo. All I could find was some dude on a wrestling message board saying he had one. Then I found the song itself on Soundcloud , which confirmed that it was at the very least, recorded. Checked tonight, and POW! There it was. Snapped it up, and the seller also had a cheap high grade copy of Eddie Henderson's Sunburst, so double bonus. Not too often I can scratch two of my ten most wanted records off the list in one day.

-image-

16. Like

17. Sisters of Mercy, Floodland. Didn't pay much attention back in the day, but I kind of dig it. It would be hard to overstate how ridiculous it is but even so.

-image-

18. I adore the Sisters but I had to draw the line when this lineup shift happened. I like the four person OG version, but they lost me starting at Floodland.

19. Joan of Arc - He's Got the Whole This Land is Your Land in His Hands

20. @BeckyWithTheGoodHair Frank Ocean song called "White Ferrari" is p dope. Intrigued but also don't care about F Ocean.

How can you be intrigued with something and not care about it at the same time?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!