March Movies

1. 3 weeks ago

Moana was great. Strong girl. Great songs. Jemaine Clement. Troy Polamalu! No love interest, no fart jokes.

It bugs me that the credits had versions of some of the songs by "real" singers. The Rock's version of "You're Welcome" blows the doors off the slick crap by some flavor-of-the-month generic dude.

2. Also, actual Pacific Islanders for all the leads. Crazy.

And the short beforehand was also wonderful. Office drone working at Boring, Boring and Glum.

3. Moonlight - Lived up to all the hype for me. Excellent.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders - 1970 Czech surrealist horror (maybe not so heavy on the horror, but definitely contains Gothic horror elements). This lies somewhere between Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre, the super-French haze of early 70s Jean Rollin, and Jess Franco's artier moments. In a nutshell, it's pretty crazy lyrical stuff, both in both the visual and thematic sense. It surprises me this was approved by Czech censors at the time. The Criterion disc also has some of director Jaromil Jires' short films included, also very good. A+

Mutants - 2009 French virus (zombie) outbreak movie. Starts out strong like it could the the High Tension of French zombie movies, but it goes downhill about 30 min in and never recovers. At least the music is good, dark Tangerine Dream-y stuff.

Creatures from the Abyss - Totally insane 1994 Italian horror from the director of the equally insane The Mummy Theme Park. Basically Alien on a boat with dumb horny college kids saying the dumbest shit you've ever heard. Lots of practical effects and some of them had me howling, pumping my fist in the air. Radioactive plankton powder is mistaken for giant bags of coke, to hilarious effect. "These fish can survive out of water! Don't you know what that means?!?!"

Tarkan and the Blood of the Vikings - Ok, so a guy raised by wolves has to help Attila save Turkey from the Vikings and an evil Chinese princess. Oh, and he falls in love with a Viking hottie and has to save her from the amazing/hilarious/lame octopus monster. 1971 Turkish madness. Loved it.

4. Masterminds - Almost forgot to mention this one, it's the new Jared Hess. It's been completed and shelved for well over a year, and that's never a good sign. Turned out to be ok, and just ok, it's not even in the same league as Gentleman Broncos. How much one likes this will probably depend on one's taste for Zach Galifianakis and Kristen Wiig.

5. Watched The Third Man for the first time in 20 years or so.

One of my all timers. Orson is so skeezy.

6. Yes

7. @J Low Moana was great. Strong girl. Great songs. Jemaine Clement. Troy Polamalu! No love interest, no fart jokes.

It bugs me that the credits had versions of some of the songs by "real" singers. The Rock's version of "You're Welcome" blows the doors off the slick crap by some flavor-of-the-month generic dude.

NO FART JOKES???
    Fuck that shit.

8. Saw Logan.

Turns out Marvel does grim and gritty better than DC, too.

9. Get Out - good, maybe not quite up to the hype for me, but still well worth it. I spotted the twist in advance, and I am usually the last person in the theater to get stuff like that.

10. Started watching Mad Max Fury Road. Ehhh this is like some steam punk slipknot action junk.

11. yours is the incorrect opinion

12. Obvs dieselpunk.

13. @J Low Also, actual Pacific Islanders for all the leads. Crazy.

In fact, every speaking part in the film except for the chicken. Didn't realize Jemaine Clement is Maori. Nice job, Disney.

14. Yall ready for this?:

I thought Moonlight sucked.

15. Saw a French film Divines last night. Its bout a couple of young Muslim girls in a Paris slum that get involved in the local drug game. The film incorporates phone communication, video texting, snapchat-type of stuff (I don't know all the apps) well - something I hadn't really seen before. I thought it was really good.

16. Finding Dory
    Every Pixar flick I've seen in the last ten years has been damn near perfect. This movie was fantastic through and through. I probably cried four times, I bet. A(+)

Logan
    Saw this at a three screen cinema in Hackensack over the weekend. I got to eat some Dots, so I guess that was pretty cool…
    Although fantastically violent and curse ridden, this poor flicker show falls victim to the same third act nonsense each Wolverine solo movie seems to succumb to:
    "Should we use the comic source material for the ending?"
    "Hell no--just make it up!"
    C(-)

17. I'm unfamiliar with the source material.

I guess I'm glad they... made up an ending, though...

18. I loved Logan. Beloved characters so frail and failing - it was perfectly done. I saw the movie with my Dad, who is now in his 70s, and I was with him every step of the way when his mother had Alzheimer's back in the 90s. Stephen Merchant's performance as Caliban was a surprise and a delight. And I found the kid compelling. Laura, portrayed by child actor Dafne Keen.

Also watched I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore. Melanie Lynskey is underrated and I love her. I have a soft spot for Elijah Wood as well. And hey, David Yow on screen is always fun.

19. The Eagle Huntress - doc about a young Kazakh woman who wants to become the first female eagle hunter (on the Steppe hunting with eagles is an ancient very bro-centric tradition). It's a nice, heartwarming story with a predictable outcome. Super cheesy music and at times felt a bit contrived. But all the same I liked it. The protagonist and her dad are great. The cut away's to a sort of fools gallery of older male elders and their skepticism of the idea of lady hunters is priceless.

Also, want to visit Mongolia super bad. It's amazingly gorgeous.

20. @jonbehm Also, want to visit Mongolia super bad. It's amazingly gorgeous.

Same! A friend - who used to live here - married a Mongolian guy. I want to go visit her.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!