March Movies

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 months ago

warsawpactarmor 14 minutes ago
    Also, with "lasers" that appear to have significantly lower muzzle velocity than preindustrial firearms, how did anyone ever hope to hit a moving target that was more than a few meters away?

Maybe by predicting momentum? The Hoth Ion cannon was able to hit Star Destroyers multiple times from Earth to Space!

3. @Bicorn Halfelven Also, I liked that Jackass movie.

It was just that sweatsuit cocktail bit.

4. @jonbehm Maybe by predicting momentum? The Hoth Ion cannon was able to hit Star Destroyers multiple times from Earth to Space!

I suppose, but that would be hard to predict in a dogfight or infantry engagement. Also, it's impressive that Star Destroyers can maintain geostationary orbits at any altitude.

5. True, but again, this is a civilization that has mastered traveling at the speed of light

6. Oh yes, which is why it's curious they often fight with weapons systems that in some respects compare unfavorably with those used by European armies in World War One.

7. Maybe with faster velocity one would be more prone to breach a ship's hull, or something like that?

8. At a certain point, suspension of disbelief takes over, since just working out the math indicates that even an x-wing-sized ship crashing into a planet at FTL speeds would be a world-killing event.

9. And that is why Star Wars is a fairy tale and not science fiction, which is a good chunk of its charm.

10. Instead of building that deathstar, why not just hurl moons at planets at light speed. That would work.

11. Because nitpicking a space fantasy is important, hyperspace travel wouldn't have to abide by the old Newtonian rules.

12. I'm not assuming it does, but since Han specifically cautions about the dangers of "flying through a star" it seems safe to assume that crashing into stuff is still bad.

13. Star=plasma=discombobulated. Totes legitimate concern.

14. Let's just hand-wave some explanation involving "gravity wells".

15. It's not like dusting crops.

16. Per Wookieepedia
    large objects in realspace cast "mass shadows" in hyperspace, so hyperspace jumps necessitated very precise calculations. Without those, a vessel could fly right through a star or another celestial body.

17. They could even bounce too close to a supernova.

18. You guys were making me wish the board was broken again

No! :-o kidding!

19. The Girl With all the Gifts - zombie movie centering on a young girl who has the zombie infection but maintains consciousness/intelligence. The zombie survivors want to experiment on her to find a cure. Predictably, all hell breaks loose. I thought it was a decent flick. Wasn't that into the ending.

20. Here's a very short film that I enjoyed a lot. NSFW:

21. @jonbehm The Girl With all the Gifts - zombie movie centering on a young girl who has the zombie infection but maintains consciousness/intelligence. The zombie survivors want to experiment on her to find a cure. Predictably, all hell breaks loose. I thought it was a decent flick. Wasn't that into the ending.

The book was better but yeah, it was an overall decent movie.

or Sign Up to reply!