Put It In Your Earhole! A March 2017 Listening Thread

1. ‹ Older
  2. 3 months ago

Just ordered the new Pontiak record. So just thinking about listening to it, I guess.

3. Meavy, is there a definitive Swans record?

4. People seem to prefer The Seer but I like To Be Kind best.

5. Edited 3 months ago by Meavy_Hetal

@J Low Meavy, is there a definitive Swans record?

I would probs refer to jonbehm on this one. I'm not well versed in the Swans catalog, but I looooooove The Glowing Man. I've never seen them perform live, but I always manage to find clips of ol' boy rehearsing the band and I absolutely love the apocalyptic cow-punk symphony ensemble thing they've got going on. Whenever whoever gets the rights to make a Blood Meridian movie for whatever studio, they'd be wise to get Swans to score the thing.

PS - Jarboe made an album with Neurosis, and it sounds exactly like you think it would--quite good.

6. I don't think there is a definitive Swans record, Gira has always tended to pivot away from the previous record in some way or another. A lot of people hold the slow grinding noisy Swans dear, but that was really only Filth, Cop and an EP or two; he began moving on from that by '86 or so. By '88 they were doing acoustic-based stuff (including the World Of Skin side project), and then soon began developing sort of an early version of post-rock. There was also a lot of ambient and loop-y stuff toward the end of the first period. I guess my suggestions would be Cop for the ugly stuff, The Burning World for the pretty stuff, Love Of Life for heavily-produced grandiosity, and Soundtracks For The Blind, (possibly my favorite), which is just all over the map. Also worth checking out is the live finale Swans Are Dead.
    If you are talking more specifically about the post-2010 relaunched lineup, any of those three meavy and jon mentioned are worthwhile. The newest one has really grown on me, a bit more subdued in large stretches, even while there is still a lot going on.

7. Edited 3 months ago by sonicfreak

LOVE the early grinding noisy Swans like Cop and Filth. That's when I started listening to them and saw a show in the Entry that was INTENSE. But I tell ya what, I also really dig the Children of God album where Jarboe shows up and they go in different directions. The later stuff is cool too. Sorry I missed em last time they were in town

8. The reissue of Red Crayola's Parable of the Arable Land that came out at some point this decade. The alternate versions, some of which are just Mayo on acoustic guitar, are great.

9. @orbit If you are talking more specifically about the post-2010 relaunched lineup, any of those three meavy and jon mentioned are worthwhile. The newest one has really grown on me, a bit more subdued in large stretches, even while there is still a lot going on.

Seeing them in August (probably), so that's relevant

10. Wolf Eyes - Undertow

Honestly think it's the best release they've made since Mike Connelly left.

11. i'm listening to Neil Young's first solo album for the first time!

12. Edited 3 months ago by orbit

Joe Bataan - Riot!
    The Monochrome Set - Eligible Bachelors

also hearing the brand-new Gnod thing right now and it is sounding really good.

13. Dude! Just discovered bataan recently as well!

14. Found his lp Mestizo in a big lot I purchased recently. Great soul/disco.

15. i'm listening to Jamiroquai. SUE ME.

16. Yeah I have been on a thing with Latin soul and jazz lately.

17. @orbit also hearing the brand-new Gnod thing right now and it is sounding really good.

Does anyone locally stock Gnod records in town yet? I have never been able to find them in town.

18. @Clone Does anyone locally stock Gnod records in town yet? I have never been able to find them in town.

i have never seen any rocket recordings stocked locally. i just got from the gnod bandcamp.

19. Edited 3 months ago by snip

it's a relatively straight(er) forward rawk album from them...vocals not burried as usual. weirdly reminds me a bit of ed hall at times? last track is almost has a tight tush fugazi-meets-the ex thing going that probably will bum @orbit out.

20. Jesus Christ, that famous live Jerry Lee Lewis album from 1964 lives up to the hype alright. Total ripper.

21. "Nobody follows the Killer!"

or Sign Up to reply!