Is this thing on? Gardening 2017

1. 3 months ago
    Edited 3 months ago by SwagathaChristie

For the first time ever I started all our tomato plants from seed...Last year we finally figured out our favorites and saved seeds, and they're all sprouting like champs. Anybody want to trade seeds/seedlings? What do you have in store for this year?

2. Gotta get some zinnia bulbs baby! Also stupid rabbits dug up all of my hens and chicks this winter. But grabbed a handful from my parents and those things grow real easy so I'm good. I think I'm finally getting the lay of my yard and what goes well where

3. haven't even started yet, except for the fact I started cleaning up my hop vines and planted some rhubarb plants my uncle gave my mom. I now have 7 rhubarb plants at my place. wtf.

the few spare moments of free time i've had with nice weather I resided one side of my barn and started cutting brush along my fenceline etc. I did find a clump of little pine trees growing so I dug a few of them and moved em, we'll see how that goes.

4. I should probably go to hmong market and get some small plants for potting - tomatoes and jalapenos or habaneros.

5. @Arby_Headphones Gotta get some zinnia bulbs baby! Also stupid rabbits dug up all of my hens and chicks this winter. But grabbed a handful from my parents and those things grow real easy so I'm good. I think I'm finally getting the lay of my yard and what goes well where

Zinnias grow from seed, mang. @Princelumber, I now have 2 massive rhubarb patches, each with multiple.plants . Last year I got 2 harvests out of them, they're strong and awesome, from plant stock that's a hundred years old or something. Also planted 2 apricot trees and a cherry tree. The tomato and pepper seedlings will be ready to transplant soon now that they're under the grow lights.

The STP farmer's market is more reliable for seedlings than Hmongtown, in my experience. I went to Hmongtown last weekend and there weren't plants there at all. I myself can't deal with the Friends School plant sale anymore, it's too crowded and insane.

6. oh also Arby, is your yard fenced? Cause if Dora's out there frequently enough, she should be able to make the rabbits want to stay out of your yard.

7. zom

Apr 30 Doors Fans

The Honeyberry plants have grown considerably and look great. If you like blueberry type berries, they're a really great fruit and plant. Black and Red Currants and Gooseberry plants are also growing well.

I transplanted a cluster of Ramps in the yard and now they come up every early spring and are increasing in size. The cherry tree is blooming like mad. This year we made semi-hugelkultur mounds and I'm not sure what we'll plant on those yet.

8. @SwagathaChristie hmm maybe you're right? my mom thought they were bulbs? or she was thinking of dahlias? those look like they come from bulbs? but either of those i want to plant. yeah our yard is fenced but i think with hardly having any snow this year left those plants exposed for the bunnies to snack on.

9. Dahlias come from bulbs. They die over the winter unless you dig them up and bring them inside. Zinnias are easy and come in lots of different varieties, they are my favorite.

10. yeah i love me some zinnias, i'm going to try them both out i think.

11. May 6!!

12. I'm just doing a pumpkin patch this year. A few herbs too and sum flowers around the house. Nothing requiring very much work. Have lotsa landscaping and outdoor projects to keep me busy.

13. I have a ton of seeds beans, flowers, tomato, cucumber, peas ... if anyone would like sum seeds they're 1-2 years old but have been kept well p sure

14. it's funny how most people that are experienced gardeners, myself included, tone things down after a while because it becomes so time consuming.

15. We're building/planting a gigantic above ground garden box that spans about half the length of our yard's fenceline. Bonus - it'll hopefully keep the dog from barking at everyone walking by.

It will need a lot of dirt. Anyone have experience getting dirt delivered? Mostly concerned about cost. Our garden is up on a big hill, so I think either way we're going to have to haul dirt from the street up to the boxes, which honestly seems easier if it's in bags than if we have a pile at the bottom of the hill.

Anyone ever had luck growing okra around here?

What bugs etc. will everyone be releasing to control pests? I want to hear lots of tricks. We did ladybugs and mantises last year, and in the fall found a mantis the length of my finger.

16. I want a mantis army.

17. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

May 9 Administrator

Mantis Toboggan, MD

18. I have secured a spricket army which is pretty much useless.

19. you can grow okra but it will be disappointing if you're used to the amount you get in the south.

20. @brilly you can grow okra but it will be disappointing if you're used to the amount you get in the south.

I've never gardened outside this zone so my expectations are pretty low. I think I'm gonna go for it.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!