NEW TV thread 2017

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 weeks ago

Oh new season of kimmy!

3. Edited 8 weeks ago by dan_johnson

@Arby_Headphones I like the new season of Master of None

Word. The "First Date" episode is maybe the best portrayal of Internet dating ever in popular media.

4. Kimmy Schmidt is really good.

5. Is anyone else watching The Handmaid's Tale? The book is great, obviously, and they have done a really nice job of adapting it for the small screen and a more modern era.

More than a few people I've talked to about it have told me they had to stop watching it because it hits too close to home re: the current administration and general climate.

6. @Arby_Headphones I like the new season of Master of None

I have liked a lot of the side stories in the new season of Masters of None but all of his female love interests are textbook Manic Pixie Dream Girls. At one point he coos at her and says "I love explaining English words to you" and most of her dialogue is chirps and sighs and smiles... it's grating at times. But, I'm holding onto hope it gets better.

7. I gotta admit, I'm way into the netflix drama 'Bloodline'. I'm glad this is its last season, though. I like when shows don't go on and on and on unnecessarily.

8. .

9. @jenn I have liked a lot of the side stories in the new season of Masters of None but all of his female love interests are textbook Manic Pixie Dream Girls. At one point he coos at her and says "I love explaining English words to you" and most of her dialogue is chirps and sighs and smiles... it's grating at times. But, I'm holding onto hope it gets better.

yeah just finished the new season last night. and dang like that Thanksgiving episode was great! but SPOILER!!!!!! those last two episodes just kinda ruined everything. just lame "but i'm the nice guy love me!" dudeisms. after having so many funny, entertaining episodes to end it like some garbage rom com that was written by a high school boy who listened to Pinkerton all the time.

10. @jenn I have liked a lot of the side stories in the new season of Masters of None but all of his female love interests are textbook Manic Pixie Dream Girls. At one point he coos at her and says "I love explaining English words to you" and most of her dialogue is chirps and sighs and smiles... it's grating at times. But, I'm holding onto hope it gets better.

I thought the second season love interest was worse in this regard than the first, but yeah, I agree.

I think the AV Club summed it up pretty well when they said that it wouldn't be so noticeable if it weren't for the fact that every other character feels like they're lifted straight from his real life. It ends up being a bunch of people on screen with one "idea of a person."

11. 7 weeks ago

Talk me into committing to Twin Peaks, both the original '90s seasons and the new series. I've certainly seen a few episodes of the first season and liked it just fine but I never went all the way. Background: Huge David Lynch fan, I've tediously repped hard here for Dune and I'm well aware it's hardly his strongest work. I thought Fire Walk With Me was a masterpiece and I was barely aware of the series, for some reason. And that's to say nothing of Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, The Elephant Man, etc. Why haven't I watched this yet?

12. @warsawpactarmor Talk me into committing to Twin Peaks, both the original '90s seasons and the new series. I've certainly seen a few episodes of the first season and liked it just fine but I never went all the way. Background: Huge David Lynch fan, I've tediously repped hard here for Dune and I'm well aware it's hardly his strongest work. I thought Fire Walk With Me was a masterpiece and I was barely aware of the series, for some reason. And that's to say nothing of Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, The Elephant Man, etc. Why haven't I watched this yet?

Dude, you kind of already talked yourself into it, sounds like.

13. Ha, I did. I watched most of the pilot last night. It was very unfamiliar. Kind of loving it. I have a feeling FSB agent Paul Atreides might become one of my favorite TV characters.

It has a certain specific Lynchian quality that wasn't always clear to me, that being the superficial layer of playing bizarre and horrible things for laughs, but beneath that is a strange detached compassion for the characters. It's present in all his work. I was for a long time so focused on the entertainment value of the former that I missed the latter.

By the way, it was strange to see Susan's parents together in a different context. I knew both those actors were in the show, and I certainly well remember Grace Zabriskie from Fire Walk With Me but I had to stifle giggles at memories of the Rosses.

14. If you start to watch the original series, be warned, there is a 'series pilot' and a 'pilot-as-movie' for the rest-of-world market. I made the mistake of watching the movie, and talk about spoilers!

15. Lynch had limited involvement in the original series. He went off to make movies after the pilot. Frost did most of the heavy lifting.

16. Flaked season 2

17. Eraserhead is my all time favorite film ever. OF ALL TIME!

I have Henry and the BABY tattooed on my body. FOR REALS. TRUTH.

Guess I need to sign up for my Showtime 30 day free trial soon. Can I stream episodes?

18. ...

19. ...

20. Yes, once you sign up through your cable provider or the Showtime Roku or AppleTV apps, you can stream episodes from Showtime's website.

21. Deleted 7 weeks ago by YITH

or Sign Up to reply!