MAY 2017 Watchening: MAY I vape in here lol

1. 3 months ago

La La Land - tho I drl (don't really like) musicals, I kinda sorta enjoyed this flick. Kinda sorta. Would I recommend? Not really. But kinda sorta enjoyed it.

2. On a non-movie note, it's weird how much random singing there is on TV shows now. Did The Simpsons start it?

3. Rabies - 2010 Israeli horror film which, despite the title, is not yet another shitty virus outbreak cannibal movie. A bunch of people all end up at the same place in the woods at the same time and some crazy shit happens. Maybe I was reading a lot more into things than I should have been, but I think there's tons of socio-economic/political allegory to analyze. It works as a straight up horror movie too. Great stuff!

American Honey - This could have been an hour shorter (almost three hours!). I didn't even really mind Shiah Leaibeouxfe, he plays a greasy dirtbag aiight. Had potential to be pretty good with more judicious editing.

Kull the Conqueror - Not a good thing when Tia Carrere is the best actor in your film. Kinda bad but totally watchable for some laughs. There's some dialog doozies.

The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter - Rented this on VHS from World Beat on the West Bank back in 99/00, it was chopped to full screen, dubbed and wasn't a good transfer. Finally got to see this masterpiece in its full HD widescreen glory, in Cantonese. One of the best Shaw Bros films, imo, top ten for sure, if not top five.

4. @Bicorn Halfelven Kull the Conqueror - Not a good thing when Tia Carrere is the best actor in your film. Kinda bad but totally watchable for some laughs. There's some dialog doozies.

With the exception of Conan the Barbarian (1982), Hollywood cannot deal with R.E. Howard. Which is stupid and sad :(

5. Edited 2 months ago by Bicorn Halfelven

I agree 100%. I'm kinda glad that Red Sonja remake from 8-10 years ago with Rose McGowan never got made.

The Machine Girl - I'd seen the first ten minutes of this several times before, but this time I stuck it out and watched the whole thing. Yeah, there's some wonderfully absurd gore and humor, but it's mostly pretty dry/boring for an Iguchi movie, meaning it's still pretty crazy but not as wild as Mutant Girls Squad. Going to check out RoboGeisha next.

The Man Who Laughs - The silent one from 1928. Super good! Conrad Veidt might be my favorite silent film actor, and he gets tons of screen time here. This must have been an inspiration for several incarnations of the Joker from Batman. The director Paul Leni also made a bunch of super neat short animated films you can watch on youtube, helps if you can read a little German, though.

I also watched all four of the Pumpkinhead movies recently. In case anybody was wondering, the only ones worth watching are the first and the fourth, which holds the distinction of being the only good filmed-in-Romania sequel to an American horror movie I've ever seen.

6. I forgot about Solomon Kane, which was ok. as good as the new Conan movie, which was also ok. Far from great, the both of 'em.

7. Eyes of My Mother - Beautifully shot, deeply disturbing horror film about a secluded young woman in the country. Really well done. Not a good one to see if you are a recent parent AT ALL.

8. 2 months ago

@Turlough's ;Axe I forgot about Solomon Kane, which was ok. as good as the new Conan movie, which was also ok. Far from great, the both of 'em.

I haven't been brave enough to watch that yet, I liked some of the Dark Horse SK comics from about ten years ago. The 80s Marvel series isn't that great, but has some cool covers.

Was pumped to get The Void yesterday from Netflix, but the disc had all kinds of weird problems that made it unwatchable. The entire batch must have been effed up because now it's listed as unavailable. I liked ManBorg and BioCop a lot. It's like if Troma was good, and Canadian.

9. got a wild hare up my butt and bought fanny and alexander criteron edition.

god fuckin damn why did people bother making movies after this one.

10. Yeah thats a great one.

11. oscar's death scene in ep 2. beyond belief.

-image-

12. @Fugue Life got a wild hare up my butt and bought fanny and alexander criteron edition.

god fuckin damn why did people bother making movies after this one.

Poss my fave bergman.

13. Texas Chainsaw Massacre - as a horror buff I figured I should probably get around to seeing this finally. It was better than I expected. And much less bloody than I thought. For some reason I thought it was just some kind of mindless chop em up flick. It's genuinely creepy though.

Sing Street - definitely an interesting back to back pairing with TCM. Irish film about a young boy in the 80's trying to start a rock n roll band. I didn't think it was all that great. It had some moments but was just kind of cute and cloying. And the smoothness at which these young misfits come together and then suddenly start playing perfect-sounding (though terrible) pop music felt pretty unrealistic. At the end when the protagonist is sailing his dinghy towards England to pursue his dreams I sort of wanted his boat to be crushed by the ferry. At least it would have been a surprise.

14. @jonbehm Texas Chainsaw Massacre - as a horror buff I figured I should probably get around to seeing this finally. It was better than I expected. And much less bloody than I thought. For some reason I thought it was just some kind of mindless chop em up flick. It's genuinely creepy though.

Now you gotta watch the second one for the Dennis Hopper chainsaw sword fight. It pales to the first, but still pretty fun.

15. Re: Bergman, I highly recommend Winter Light, Saraband, Autumn Sonata, Persona, Though A Glass Darkly... pretty much everything from Summer with Monika to the end of his career is fantastic. I've seen almost all of them, with the exception of some tv movies and documentaries I haven't been able to find. Prob my fave director ever.

16. Bicorn Halfelven 1 hour ago
    Now you gotta watch the second one for the Dennis Hopper chainsaw sword fight.

I didn't realize Dennis Hopper was in the sequel. That sounds like an excellent combination

17. I was curious so I looked at the casts of the other TCM sequels - did not know that there was an early nineties Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation starring Matthew McConaughey and Renée Zellweger. 16% on Rotten Tomatoes.

18. Bicorn, would you agree that parts of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 are...um...chainless?

19. "BRING IT DOWN!"

20. TCM2
    2L2Q

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!