Pa speaker system

1. last week

Hoping I can pick yall's brains about pa info. Reading about it online is surprisingly intimidating. Let's say for instance I wanted to buy a pa setup that could be used to play live music at a wedding type gathering of about 100 or so people. After said event, the pa would then be used in a practice space to play beats live hip hop what have you. Ideally the pa would be capable and powerful enough for live shows so I'd expect the power needs to be greater for after this event but trying to find a balance between the two.

Wattage? Powered mixer? Powered or Unpowered speakers? Brands, bundles, and who to buy from?

2. I was quite satisfied with a pair of powered 12" Mackie Thump speakers and a powered sub, Yamaha makes some nice stuff too but more $. Keep in mind stands & cables, you'll need a mixer in front too, even a little 402-VLZ worked nicely in the above set up for a couple of channels.

3. 6 days ago

If I have 2 1000w mackie thumps, do you think I'd need a sub still? That's a dumb question probably.

4. yeah, you will. Esp for any hip-hop beats blastin' - gotta have the boomin' system.

5. Hire the Feel Free Hi Fi.

6. The desire to rent something or pay someone to do it is quite high. But I wouldn't minding owning a sick PA system so I dunno. Was hoping I could get everything for under a grand but the mixer and sub will probs push me over.

7. So if the sub and all the speakers are powered that is like better for needing less power from your mixer so you don't need some high power amp mixer combo thing?? So 2 mackies, speaker cables, sub, mixer, and the stands. Under 1200 maybe??

8. Edited 6 days ago by garyburrito

You're probably looking to buy the whole, newish system online or at guitar center or whatever but craigslist has this Earth Sound Research setup which is probably a lot of fucking fun and I would get it for sure if I was equipping a rehearsal space or even if I needed another bass amp but my basement is full of stupid shit like this.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/6135215851.html

9. Edited 6 days ago by kbollox

The powered speaker means no additional amps or powered mixer. The mixer you do input would be your line/mic levels etc. - You then also have individual volume controls on each of the speakers too... I would note to pay attention to the crossover setting options on the sub - I used an 18" Yamaha sub with 2 x 12" Mackie speakers and it was loud & clear for dj in a large room for 150 ppl.

I think $1500 and you'd have all of it brand new delivered for free - but going used will bring down $ too.

There's always Craigslist!

10. zom

May 17 Doors Fans

@garyburrito You're probably looking to buy the whole, newish system online or at guitar center or whatever but craigslist has this Earth Sound Research setup which is probably a lot of fucking fun and I would get it for sure if I was equipping a rehearsal space or even if I needed another bass amp but my basement is full of stupid shit like this.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/6135215851.html

As is mine, and I have a Kustom PA with the 2 4X12" cabinets in black tuck 'n roll. These are fine for just vocals, and I actually like the way they sound for old-style vocal use. I saw that Earth.. lucky to get $200 for it if that much. So weird that they copied Peavey and Kustom.

11. Yeah the Earth amps I've worked with have been real loud and that's cool.

I played through a Earth cab for a while (various heads). It was fine.

12. The earth amp is cool. Def looks like a peavy. It also looks like the same kind of pa head I've used over the years. But like, cooler. Usually gotten on the cheap from music go round or something. In this case yeah will probably go with guitar center or online I guess.

Thanks for explaining that @kbollox. Not sure about sub crossover settings or whatever. Never had a sub of any kind so will have to learn. Also intimidated by the mixer selection. But it's seeming pretty feasible.

13. zom

May 17 Doors Fans

The problem with the old stuff is that the mic inputs are unbalanced phono jacks. You can use line transformers, and I do, but they cost something and are sort of a pain in the ass.

14. Older unpowered speakers are cool. It's looking like I'm leaning toward the powered speakers probably. Looking for one that plays overall music and beats really well more than just projecting vocals or a live band.

15. Metro sound and light is still a place?
    Haven't been in there in a while.
    Seems like they'd be the ones to straighten out what you're after.

16. yesterday

About to sell a loud and compact PA system.
    Want mine?

17. 21 hours ago

Yeah definitely gonna check out metro sound and light cause I was looking at cool light systems on line and def need to hit them up. Anyone ever use those cool flexible led drape display things or goofy dj lights?

18. @airloom I mignt wants it. Is it bumping? Like good for live music and beats and not just like for vocals and what not? What are we talking here?

19. 16 hours ago

zom

16 hours ago Doors Fans

@airloom About to sell a loud and compact PA system.
    Want mine?

What else are you selling? Mics? Stuff I want?

or Sign Up to reply!