Chris Cornell dead at 52

1. ‹ Older
  2. 2 months ago

I just realized that Soundgarden was the first show I ever saw. Opening for Gn'R at the Target Center in February of '91. Did not understand what I was watching.

3. Actually January of '92.

4. @orbit I saw them in '89-90 as well, twice actually. (think the second one was very early '90, the tour with Voivod).
    Jason Everman on bass though. They were really good both times.

That Voivod tour was the first time I saw them, too. So good. Then with Danzig and Warrior Soul. I haven't thought about that show in a million years.

5. Someone posted an ad and a City Pages blurb from the Minneapolis date of that Voivod/Soundgarden/Faith No More tour on a VV fb fan page that I follow yesterday.

6. @junea Uh, holy shit.

I KNOW DAMN.

7. That did sound pretty amazing. I was probably never into Soundgarden as much as some other "alternative rock" as a teenager because they were closer to metal than most of it, and I've never been a metal person. But I would've loved to have seen them in that situation, I would imagine Cornell would have been quite the force in a room that small.

8. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

May 21 Administrator

I think Hiro left right before the Voivod tour?

9. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

May 21 Administrator

I think Hiro left right before the Voivod tour?

10. It was unbelievably heavy. "Gun" especially. Cornell was wearing army cutoffs with combat boots and an army jacket completely open. He looked beautiful and ripped.
    Thayil was mesmerizing as well. I had Cornell Hair™ at the time and headbanged gratuitously in front of the monitor stacks. It was most memorable. Mudhoney and Bullet LaVolta played the next day and it was really weak in comparison.

11. So we can agree that at least one person looked good in short pants. Although having it be Chris Cornell, that is setting the bar outrageously high.

12. Edited 2 months ago by Clone

I wore the same thing at the time but never pulled it off like that. (The shorts I mean)
    #cornellabs

13. They were my favorite band for about a year I guess. Saw them at Roy Wilkins. Not gonna lie, they still have a few moments that give me genuine chills. Thayil fucking rules. Cameron was a huge drum inspiration. Cornell had an eerie sexual charisma as noted above.

14. and yes, by 'eerie sexual charisma' I mean Abs & Hair

15. also, holy shit ben shepherd man.

16. Ben Shepherd could grind the hell out of a bass riff, and writes a goddamn great song. If only he could stand up straight...

17. I can only think of how much more amazing he would be if he didn't wear his bass by his ankles.

18. Like September 11th, I was never a big Soundgarden fan. But that guy could really sing. And a sexy dude to boot.

Anyway, always sad to hear something like that. Condolences to his family and fans.

19. details about the night it happened. that might be about as much detail as anyone's ever going to get as to what went down.

20. 8 weeks ago

I guess this falls in the category of "but they're really nice guys," but I was surprised to see that two of the Linkin Park dudes did a performance/eulogy.

21. I guess this falls in the category of "but they're really nice guys," but I was surprised to see that two of the Linkin Park dudes did a performance/eulogy.

or Sign Up to reply!