July Watchening 2017

1. 3 weeks ago

I watched all four of the Critters movies recently. I had seen the first one on VHS maybe twenty years ago, and it was nice to see it in widescreen. For a ripoff of Gremlins, the first one is pretty good. It's actually funny and the sfx still look great. The second movie is just the first one again, but not as good. The third one has the added benefit of a ten year old Leonardo DiCaprio playing Game Boy. The fourth is set entirely in space, and makes for a pretty good comedic Aliens ripoff with Angela Bassett and Brad Dourif. Overall a pretty good series, the only dud being the second one. Still way better than The Ghoulies.

2. I thought Alien: Covenant was pretty decent. SPOILER: I still don't really understand how the alien gets on the ship. And the end's twist was pretty obvious.

3. I've been reading some Chester Himes lately, so I watched
    COME BACK, CHARLESTON BLUE. Not bad at all! Especially
    the atmospheric or vérité parts, early 70s Harlem. Great music by Donny Hathaway.

4. Edited 3 weeks ago by Bicorn Halfelven

The Last Wave - Watched this today on the recommendation of some boardies (I think it was Swags and Finn), after mentioning Picnic At Hanging Rock a while back. Loved this, so thanks for the tip. This movie might contain the first acid house bassline. The rest of the music was pretty cool too. Saw Brian Trenchard-Smith's name in the credits as some kind of publicity person a couple years before he directed Turkey Shoot, BMX Bandits and Dead End Drive-In, and way before he made the best Leprechaun sequel (the fourth one, y'know, the one in space).

5. @jonbehm I thought Alien: Covenant was pretty decent. SPOILER: I still don't really understand how the alien gets on the ship. And the end's twist was pretty obvious.

I really liked it but I don't get (more spoilers) how David was able to off the OP Walter

6. Spoilery response: When David and Walter are fighting, it shows David reaching for a knife just before the cutaway. My assumption is that David was able to grab the knife and "kill" Walter.

7. that movie sucked

8. @Bicorn Halfelven The Last Wave - Watched this today on the recommendation of some boardies (I think it was Swags and Finn), after mentioning Picnic At Hanging Rock a while back. Loved this, so thanks for the tip.).

It was me.

9. :-)

10. I actually liked Kingsman: The Secret Service more than either John Wick movie (both of which I enjoyed). I guess I'm just more into state security than organized crime (as if there's a difference...in post-Soviet Russia, that is).

Anyhow, it was hardly perfect and problematic in many respects, but I really loved Colin Firth. Like, a lot. As for Samuel L. Jackson, an actor I generally really dig, in both masterpieces he perfects and trash he elevates, I suppose I'm not sure about this particular performance. I'm sure I was holding my pet peeve about climate change-obsessed supervillains against him, but then he didn't write the thing.

11. The sequel, which somehow still stars Colin Firth, opens in September.

12. The Big Sick - I guess calling it The Big Suck would be too easy. Earnest cross-cultural romcom, not really orbit's bag. We got free passes though.

13. Kingsman: The Secret Service would have been better without the casual misogyny. But it was entertaining.

14. @jonbehm Kingsman: The Secret Service would have been better without the casual misogyny. But it was entertaining.

That's fair. When I read the director's justification of the final scene - parodying the romantic finales of Bond movies by making it explicit and crude - I understood what he was shooting for and claims test audiences liked, but it was a little off-putting.

15. 2 weeks ago

Darling - b&w haunted house horror on Netflix. Seems like it was made by an art student with a really nice eye for lighting but not much else in terms of narrative or story. It was a little unsettling though as the protagonist bears an uncanny resemblance to my wife.

16. I also saw Wonder Woman which I thought was pretty good. Honestly though it seems like a fairly conventional super hero action movie, just with a female lead instead of the traditional male. I felt similarly about Frozen. A lot of hype about being super transgressive, but then ending up sort of formulaic, all the same. It seems to be immensely inspiring to women which is terrific - and that in of itself is pretty huge, regardless of what one dude thinks about the filmmaking.

17. You're absolutely right about it being a formulaic superhero movie, but it's rather well done. For me a lot of what made me like Wonder Woman was the way she's presented throughout the film in a way a woman character in a superhero film simply hasn't been until now. Another thing I loved is how WW is portrayed as a true selfless hero, and without any of the bullshit Frank Miller brooding that's so pervasive in superhero everything.

18. Edited 2 weeks ago by Bicorn Halfelven

Hard Rock Zombies - Crazy 1985 zombie movie that's half music video, half Jean Rollin dream sequence. Obviously made on a poverty budget (the day for night scenes look awful), a rock band that sounds like Journey gets killed by a small town of prudes and satanic Nazis who hate rock music. Thankfully somebody plays a demo of the bass player's lyrics he "found in an old book", they come back to life wearing new wave corpse paint, accompanied by fake "Thriller" music. Would make a great double feature with Black Roses or Jennifer's Body. Great trashy fun.

Aftermath - Would recommend to anyone who wants to watch Ahnold in a serious drama about a man who loses his family to a plane crash. Not so good.

The Lego Batman Movie - The Family Guy-style pacing was almost too much for me after a while, but I did appreciate the constant stream of references to DC properties. Was not expecting to see Crazy Quilt. It was fun, would place it beneath The Lego Movie but above the last two Batman movies.

19. Deleted 2 weeks ago by Bicorn Halfelven
  20. Bicorn Halfelven 5 hours ago
    For me a lot of what made me like Wonder Woman was the way she's presented throughout the film in a way a woman character in a superhero film simply hasn't been until now.

Sure, I can understand that. Is that just a low bar though and a testament to the shitty state of women in film that it's cause for celebration just that the lead female character wasn't objectified, demeaned, or marginalized?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!