July Watchening 2017

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 days ago

@jonbehm Cool, thx

Finally got around to watching the White Helmets documentary on Netflix last night. Very good. Makes me want to do something more worthwhile with my life. Also, ever since having a kid its crazy how differently I react to situations of children in danger in media. I mean I was never totally blasé about it but now I just can't even cope with it at all. The scene of them pulling the 'miracle baby' from the bombed out rubble? I was a mess

Srsly.
    I actually wept on to a pizza last night listening to Adam Levy talk and sing about his kid's death. Cannot fathom .

3. @SwagathaChristie According to this, Willow Creek and IMAX at the zoo. Hasn't been updated for over a week though.

http://www.redballoon.net/dunkirk-venues.txt

And Willow Creek got redone with sweet ass recliners, full bar, etc.

4. 5 days ago

WOW, $10.50 for the 70mm matinee screenings at Willow Creek.
    I am not sure if I am that much of a cinephile.

5. 4 days ago

The Wandering Swordsman - Very quickly paced for a 1970 Shaw Bros movie, Cheh Chang's style is pretty much full-formed at this point. Great stuff, up there with Come Drink With Me and The One-Armed Swordsman.

The Girl With All the Gifts - Would highly recommend to anyone who isn't totally sick of zombie movies, this has gotta be the best I've seen this decade. Excellent acting, cool sound design, and very colorful. Written by Mike Carey, who had a really good run on the Hellblazer comics.

Under the Shadow - UK/Jordanian horror movie shot in Jordan but set in 80s Tehran during the Iran-Iraq War. Loved this one, gets creepy and tense despite the dubbed dialog (it's 2017, can we please just subtitle shit now? At least the dubbing is well-acted, and if you can get past the words not matching the lips, it's fine). Heavy on dread, atmosphere, and political subversion, another welcome recent entry in the sub-genre of Motherhood Horror. Seriously great, probably the best djinn/aerobics movie I've seen so far. 9/10.

6. @Finn McCool Could have been darker:

The new movie isn't quite as dark as this one.

7. the witch was bogus bullshit.

sick of movies/books posing binary questions and giving non-binary answers to them.

Q: is there a witch?
    A: the woods.

8. Fairly certain the version of Under The Shadow I saw was subtitled

9. We opted not to drive out to the burbs for the 70mm Dunkirk experience. But it was very good even at dumpy St. Anthony Main. Very different type of big budget war movie than its often dumber, gorier, more jingoistic American cousins. Even the heroism angle is downplayed in favor of a very British "one does what one must" attitude, not to mention depicting the reality of whole lot of very frightened and confused men. There were a couple of plot points that were stretching it a little, or just not fleshed out so well, but overall it tied its three timelines together to tell the story pretty well.
    I await warsawpactaromor's review on the finer points.

10. If it doesn't address inverted-flight fuel starvation in the Merlin-powered Spitfire or if I see 7.62x51 NATO Bren Guns I will have a Twitter meltdown.

No, the trailers look fantastic and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

11. @jonbehm Fairly certain the version of Under The Shadow I saw was subtitled

The streaming version on Netflix was dubbed. Oh well, still glad I saw it.

12. I might be wrong. Can't remember where/how I saw it. feel like I remember dubbing though - I can't stand that shit.

Agree with you on that and The Girl With all the Gifts though. Both good. Not sure I loved TGWATG's ending though. Seemed a little...staged? Silly? Unlikely?

13. 3 days ago

@Fugue Life the witch was bogus bullshit.

sick of movies/books posing binary questions and giving non-binary answers to them.

Q: is there a witch?
    A: the woods.

DISAGREE

14. Edited 3 days ago by warsawpactarmor

Well, I thought that Dunkirk was for the most part totally fantastic. There were a few bits I didn't like - a couple implausible nick-of-time rescues and a couple on-the-nose heartstring-tuggers but they stood out in a way they wouldn't have in a lesser film because Dunkirk was so relentless, tense, and apocalyptic. The convoluted structure, it now seems, served the non-academic, non-trivial purpose of making the climax essentially last for the entire running time of the movie and it more or less worked. And the music...I've been indifferent to Hans Zimmer in the past but this score, which reminded me of Vangelis and Robert Simpson's ninth symphony, in conjuction with all the incredibly loud and sharp gunfire, grinding metal, surging ocean, and roaring engines, was crushing and constantly ratcheting up the tension beyond where I thought it could be sustained.

I'm still digesting the aerial combat scenes, which I have been eagerly anticipating for quite a while. On the one hand, they lacked the speed, kineticism, and extreme stunt flying of some other classic movie dogfights using similar techniques of in-camera footage of real aircraft with a bare minimum of special effects but I'm starting to think that worked to its advantage. Maintaining situational awareness and understanding spatial relationships, being parsimonious with fuel and ammunition, and patiently leading a moving target is kind of what air combat is about.

As for period details - real Spitfires and .303 SMLEs, excellent mocked-up and RC miniature Bf109s, He-111s, and Stukas, no complaints there. The destroyer in the channel looked a little modern (it's actually French and from 1957, I discovered) but it was real and had hundreds of people on it, and better that than some CGI eyesore with lines that more superficially resembled a '30s Royal Navy warship.

ps i had to look up which one harry styles was and i'm still not entirely sure

15. 2 days ago

I had trouble telling apart everyone that wasn't Sir Kenneth or Cillian Murphy.

Beautiful to watch. We did the Zoo. Matinee was twelve bucks. I thought it was worth it.

16. 13 hours ago

half way through the Defiant Ones on HB-low - really enjoying it. Seeing Dr Dre in purple surgical gowns cutting records is pretty sweet.

17. 11 hours ago

@jonbehm Agree with you on that and The Girl With all the Gifts though. Both good. Not sure I loved TGWATG's ending though. Seemed a little...staged? Silly? Unlikely?

Yeah, the ending was kinda eh, but the rest of the movie was so well done I was willing to forgive it.

18. 4 hours ago

Valerian was terrible, particularly the lead actor, although it looked great. I think a different actor and cutting half an hour would have greatly improved it. Bonus points for casting Herbie Hancock.

19. Hey, here's a picture of Stanley Kubrick taking smoke break ON THE FUCKING MOON

-image-

20. I mostly just watch video game streamers on twitch instead of tv shows/movies.

21. Well Kubrick did fake the moon landings after all.

or Sign Up to reply!