Looking for and purchasing physical media

1. 3 weeks ago

A thread for record stores and the like.

A lame reason to start the thread, but what's the best twin cities store to find country western music? I'm looking for 1980s George Strait (for a friend, I swear).

2. Ummm Hymie's? Or maybe digging through cheapos stuff might be worthwhile.

For my favs I'll go with extreme noise and agharta. Both usually have what I want at a good price. Also the two best places to sell to.

3. I'll put in a word for Barely Brothers at University and Raymond. I haven't collected records in decades so I can't say with any authority how good it is as record stores go, but the owner is my old boss from Northern Lights, and he is a very cool dude.

4. I think Hymies is a good bet

5. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Jul 7 Administrator

thirding Hymies

6. You might try Agartha for something like 80s country, especially the very back room where the cheap records are. May take some digging, obvs.

Speaking of record finds, the other day I was at this crappy hole in the wall store in little Lake Orion, MI, and managed to grab *sealed* copies of Soundgarden Ultramega OK , Cramps Smell of Female, and Patti Smith Dream of Life for under $45. The rest of the store was total shit.

7. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Jul 7 Administrator

og ultramega or repress?

8. OG, although it appears there were a couple of pressings in 1988, and I don't know which one this is without opening it to see the runout.

9. pitpat, Toby Ronnie

Jul 7 Administrator

noyce

10. 2 weeks ago

I would open for purposes of listening.

11. Damn right

12. I've had good luck at both Hymie's and Barely for oldish country...although those were pretty much the only places I went. Barley does trickle out their back stock so if you want something specific I'd ask them if they might have it squirreled away.

There's 1 good record store within 50 miles of where I live.

13. You could've stayed and been laid off...

14. I considered that option

15. last week
    Deleted last week by Roaratorio

or Sign Up to reply!